How to synchronize a VRBO and AirBnb calendar
There are two ways to synchronize a VRBO and AirBnb calendar. This article will discuss both options.
Option A: Exchange ICAL files directly with each other
Risk of double bookings
More work required
The following method of syncing your VRBO and AirBnb calendar together won't cost you anything, however it comes with some drawbacks including the risk of a double booking due to the delay between syncing of the two calendars which is delayed 2 hours or more. Some channels (eg: Trip Advisor) have a daily quota on the number of times its ICS file can be called. This becomes an issue if you have more than one channel calling a specific channel's calendar throughout the day (eg: VRBO, Airbnb & Trip Advisor). The chance that the daily quota is reached and the calendar no longer updates for the remainder of the day increases as the number of channels you list with go up. If you are listed with 3 or more channels, you run this risk.
Step 1: Grab the ICAL file from VRBO
- Log in to your VRBO account
- Click on Manage and then View Calendar next to your rental
- Click on Import/Export
- Click on Export calendar
- Copy this link. You'll need to paste this into your Booking.com account.
Step 2: Paste the VRBO ICAL link into AirBnb
- Log in to your Airbnb account.
- Select Your Listing.
- Click Calendar or Go to Calendar.
- Click Availability Settings.
- Under the Sync Calendar heading, Click Import Calendar.
- Paste the link you copied into Airbnb's Calendar address URL field.
Step 3: Grab the ICAL file from AirBnb
- In your AirBnb account, under the Sync Calendar heading, Click Export Calendar.
- Copy this link. This is the calendar link you will need.
Step 4: Paste the AirBnb ICAL link into VRBO
- Log in to your VRBO account.
- Click on Manage and then View Calendar next to your rental.
- Click on Import/Export.
- Click on Import calendar.
- Paste the link you copied into VRBO's Calendar URL box, name the calendar and then click Import Calendar.
Option B: Use a Channel Manager
No double bookings
Additional tools included
Rental owners and managers use a channel manager like RentalBell to streamline the management of their rentals, especially if they are listed on multiple travel sites. RentalBell actively syncs multiple calendars, including VRBO and AirBnb, so the risk of double bookings are eliminated. By having one channel management system communicate with any particular channel, the risk or prematurely reaching the daily ics call limit is eliminated. RentalBell also manages other aspects of a rental's calendar including the availability window and preparation time between bookings. The cost is $5.99/month per rental and includes unlimited channels, analytical graphs, embeddable calendar widgets for personal rental websites, 24/7 support, and more.